The Events Industry Board (EIB) has been relaunched and new members announced. The EIB is a working group of the Tourism Industry Council (TIC), itself an overarching working group which exists to support delivery of the UK Government’s Tourism Recovery Plan.
The Government has said that it wants to attract more business events to the UK, and has suggested supporting existing events to grow and discourage any from leaving. According to a statement on the Government’s website, this is part of it ambition to “make the UK the world’s meeting place”.
Details released on 17 February revealed that the EIB Working Group (EIBWG) will focus on articulating how government and industry can deliver the objectives set out in the Tourism Recovery Plan. Specifically it will support the delivery of ‘Objective 6’ of the Tourism Recovery Plan, by providing advice on how the UK can become a more competitive environment in order to attract, retain, grow and create events, and create a supportive environment for the sector to achieve long term growth.
It was also announced that the EIBWG will also determine and offer suggestions to the Government on how the sector can support delivery of the Government’s wider aims and objectives.
This in turn is supposed to support the Inter-Ministerial Group on the Visitor Economy, set up to coordinate government interventions in support of the visitor economy.
- Michael Hirst OBE – chair and executive committee member of the Business Visits & Events Partnership
- Nick Brooks-Sykes – director of tourism, Marketing Manchester
- Claire Fennelow – executive director, EVCOM
- Tracy Halliwell MBE – director of business tourism and major events – London and Partners
- Jennifer Jenkins – board director, Worldspan plc
- Darren Johnson – independent (business adviser, formerly chief executive of Reed Exhibitions UK)
- Kerrin MacPhie – CEO of the Meetings Industry Association
- Kate Nicholls OBE – CEO of UKHospitality
- Fay Sharpe OBE – founder, FastForward15
- Chris Skeith OBE – director, Events Industry Alliance (representing the Association of Event Organisers, Association of Event Venues, Event Supplier & Services Association)
- Paul Thandi CBE – CEO, NEC Group
Representatives from VisitBritain, VisitEngland, VisitScotland, VisitWales and the Northern Ireland Tourist Board will observe. Representatives from Government departments including DCMS, DIT and BEIS will attend.